Wednesday, February 9, 2011

the hard part

So I'm moving out of the studio. I've cancelled all classes for the next two weeks (at least) and I am focused soley on getting out of there. It's amazing what one accumulates in 5 years. It's been emotionally trying and exhausting work, but we're making progress. I have my mom here to help me too, so that's immensely supportive. Today we got much of the little stuff out, and the rest of the pottery and sculpture. Then Jason and I brought over the truck and made a trip with some of the bigger items. The new studio space at Jason's is coming along too, with work he has been doing on it each day. I feel like I am beginning to detach from the old space, especially with all my artwork out, and with workmen in and out each day. It is no longer mine. It's a little frustrating with people in and out of my old studio space working on the HVAC and the floors, but nothing has dissapeared that I know of. We anticipate being out by the end of the week, and then spending at least another week getting cleaned up and organized at the new space enough to be able to work. I got a little discouraged today because everything is still so far away from what I envision it to be. I am still unsure that it will be a space I will be able to teach in, or if potential students will feel comfortable coming to a home studio. I don't know how we will be able to show or sell any work from there either right now without a gallery area. I have plans to get my website shopping cart activated, and to get my Etsy site going again, and eventually I'm sure our "brick and mortar" space will in good enough shape for the public to visit. It is encouraging that most of the potters and ceramic artists I follow work from home, and are very successful with it. In the meantime, I am keeping a sort of tunnel-vision focus to complete this part of the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment